Kickstart your career in Mental Health - Entry Level Support Worker role!
Flourish Australia has an exciting opportunity for a Support Worker to join our Griffith team!
The position available is:
- Closed-term full-time (76 hours/fortnight)
- Based at Griffith
- Working Monday to Friday
- Attractive hourly rates equivalent to SCHCADS Level 2 $32.21-$33.22/hour + 11% Super + Tax-Free Salary Packaging!
What Will You Be Doing?
Support Workers work in the community and support people with lived experience of mental health issues achieve their hopes and dreams. You will play an important part in assisting people to maintain wellness and realise their goals.
This may involve:
- Assisting people to prepare and cook meals.
- Accompanying people on agreed routine outings such as socialisation or recreational activities.
- Supporting people to live independently in their homes.
- Supporting people in a group home
On a day to day basis, you will be required to:
- Listen to and partake in activities that meet the interests and goals of people.
- Encourage shared learning experiences and support skill development at every opportunity through self-directed learning, information and education.
- Ensure all aspects of service delivery are provided in consultation with the key worker, are strengths based and person-led wherever possible.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, be non-judgmental, be fair, patient, have the willingness to listen, and display empathy.
- Self-reflect and constantly review work practices.
For more information about what it means to be a Support Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Position Description.
Please note - successful candidates must maintain a Class C driver’s licence and proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required.
How Will We Support Your Career?
The Support Worker position with Flourish Australia is an entry-level role suitable for people who are new to the sector and looking for an opportunity to be mentored by our experienced teams.
The role would suit you if:
- You are undertaking a relevant Qualification (Certificate, Diploma or Bachelor) and are looking for practical experience working in the community with people with a lived experience of a mental health issue; or
- You are interested in Peer Work or Mental Health Work, but haven't undertaken formal study and would like to be supported to gain a Certificate IV in Peer Work or Certificate IV in Mental Health Work; or
- Would like to experience working in the Mental Health Sector but aren't interested in further study at this stage
The Support Worker positions provide an opportunity to develop the skills and experience required for our Peer Worker and Mental Health Worker roles (Level 3). The positions are open to anyone who doesn't meet the criteria to apply for the Level 3 positions and would like an opportunity to grow in this sector.
While moving towards a Level 3 role is not a requirement of this position, you will discuss your career aspirations with your Manager and work together to make a plan for how to achieve those goals.
Opportunities For Training
Flourish Australia is committed to your career development. We demonstrate this through:
- Developing a Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker career pathway by supporting you to complete the relevant Certificate IV (Peer Work or Non-Clinical Mental Health Work) and supporting you to gain on the job experience.
- Flexible working conditions based around your study or personal needs
- Supportive teams committed to helping you learn
- Access to a range of training opportunities (e.g. Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Trauma Informed Care, LGBTQ Awareness)
Who we are
Our name reflects our fundamental and enduring commitment to people’s mental health and wellbeing, supporting them to thrive and live a contributing life. People are at the centre of everything we do at Flourish Australia – they’re our heart and soul. We reflect this through the language we use, our pride and belief in our team and our respect and understanding of those with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
Everyone who works at Flourish Australia is dedicated to providing people experiencing mental health issues with the day-to-day support and encouragement they need to create a rewarding life for themselves in their community.
Our Support Worker positions are open to anyone with a genuine interest in working in community mental health and share the organisation's values. Bringing your own personal lived experience of a mental health issue will be highly regarded. Over 55% of the Flourish Australia team have a personal lived experience of a mental health issue.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities, LGBTQ+ communities and mature age candidates.
- Demonstrated interest in supporting people living with a mental health issue in the community.
- A strong commitment to, and emerging knowledge of, recovery-based practice in the workplace.
- Demonstrated alignment to Flourish Australia’s values.
- Maintain a current Australian Driver’s Licence.
- Commenced or commitment to completing a Certificate IV in Peer Work, Certificate IV in Non-Clinical Mental Health Work, or other relevant qualification (as recognised by Flourish Australia).
- Basic computer literacy and knowledge of data information management systems.
- A personal lived experience of a mental health issue and recovery.
- A current First Aid Certificate.
- Emerging knowledge of the local area and available community supports.
Please note: A personal lived experience of a mental health is essential if you elect to develop your career as a Peer Worker.
All appointments with Flourish Australia's Mental Health Services are subject to an NDIS Worker Screening clearance, a National Criminal History Check, a WWCC, previous employment reference checks, satisfactory Australian residency status and other background checks. All successful applicants will be asked to provide evidence they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including booster) prior to commencement, inline with Flourish Australia’s Vaccination Policy.
For further information, please contact Timothy Owers, Manager. E: Timothy.Owers@flourishaustralia.org.au (please do not email applications).
Flourish Australia recognises and values its people as demonstrated by:
- Level 2 (SCHCADS) on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement 2018
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900
- Generous leave provisions including 17.5% leave loading+ 2 additional days of personal leave+ extra day paid leave over Christmas/New Year + paid parental leave
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions
- Opportunities for professional development and training such as Mental Health First Aid, ASIST and relevant Support Coordination training (where applicable)
- Regular supervision, ongoing 1:1 mentoring, strong team support and a comprehensive induction program
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program for free, confidential well-being support
- Inclusive initiatives such as our Rainbow Network and YarnUp for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander staff
- Personal fleet pricing discounts with our preferred automotive supplier
- Employee discounts at 350+ popular retailers (Woolworths, Expedia, Myer, Kmart etc)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the questions below. You will then be asked to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.
Applications close on 23rd of November. Apply now!