Peer Worker Vacancy
Flourish Australia has an opportunity for an enthusiastic Peer Worker to join our Resolve program in Cranebrook!
The position available is part-time (40 hours per fortnight) working a rotating roster including weekends, evening and night shifts. The position is classified at Level 3 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
About the Opportunity
Flourish Australia is proud to have built one of Australia’s largest peer workforces, a proven, strengths-based approach to mental health recovery. Peer work is a cornerstone of our services with more than half of our workforce having had a lived experience of a mental health issue. By applying personal experience in mental health, peer workers can empathise, support, and inspire people in finding their own path to recovery.
As a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, your own life experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery will provide a distinct advantage as you mentor and support people with lived experience of a mental health issue. You will be required to use this lived experience openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people you support that also have a lived experience of a mental health issue.
On a day to day basis, you will:
- Effectively and appropriately hold crucial conversations with people who access our services in order to connect with them, support them, build reciprocity and mutual understanding, trust and shared experience.
- Ensure the person you are supporting feels accepted and appreciated.
- Help the person take on responsibilities.
- Effectively and appropriately guide and support each person in their recovery and be strengths, ability and possibility focused.
- Effectively model hope and recovery.
- Help provide agreed pathways to accessing clinical supports through the LHD and private clinicians, including access to alcohol and other drug services where needed.
- Provide residential support that enables step-up and step-down with intensity flexibility in care as needs change for the person.
For more information about what it means to be a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Position Description and the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C drivers license and proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You may be directed to use your private motor vehicle when an organisational pool motor vehicle is unavailable. You will receive the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes.
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. Our purpose is to support people to flourish, believe in their futures, and become contributing members of the community.
Our services are comprehensive and highly personalised because each person’s experience will be different and their needs, as an individual, are unique. Together we set goals, connect individuals with the right people, support services and opportunities to meet their needs.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
About the Resolve Program
The Resolve program is a unique mental health program that provides alternative support for people with a mental health issue who present frequently to Emergency Departments and spend long periods admitted to a mental health inpatient facility. The Resolve program supports people with complex support needs and interacts with a range of services and sectors involved in their care.
The Resolve program is first and foremost an early intervention program, which aims to reduce the likelihood of people being admitted to a mental health inpatient unit. To achieve this, the Resolve program provides participants with an opportunity to attend a short-term residential stay complemented with outreach support. The combination of these early intervention support pathways assists people to live well and stay well in the community without the need to attend a mental health inpatient unit.
- A personal lived experience of a mental health issue.
- A relevant degree OR a Relevant Certificate IV or Diploma with 12-months relevant experience OR 2-years full-time experience working in mental health as recognised by Flourish Australia.
- A strong commitment to recovery-based practice in the workplace.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by people with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
- Understanding of, and ability to effectively use, Microsoft Office and knowledge of data information management systems.
- Maintain a current Australian Driver’s Licence.
For further information, please contact Asheeta Kumar, Manager. E: email@example.com (please do not email applications).
- Attractive hourly rates;
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900;
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions; and
- Career development opportunities.
All appointments with Flourish Australia's Mental Health Services are subject to an NDIS Worker Screening clearance, a National Criminal History Check, a WWCC, previous employment reference checks, satisfactory Australian residency status and other background checks.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete all the questions asked. You will then be required to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.