Peer Worker Vacancy
Flourish Australia has an exciting opportunity for a Peer Worker to join our Community Businesses team at Marrickville!
The position available is casual and classified at Level 3 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
Aims of the Community Businesses
- Social: to create a recovery and reintegration pathway for people with mental health issues through various employment activities.
- Economic: to operate the business on a commercially sustainable basis of profitable growth whilst simultaneously offering employment opportunities for people.
- Product: to provide a range of commercial industry-standard products that meet the expectations and needs of targeted markets.
- Support: to increase awareness of mental health issues and to encourage businesses to support the Community Businesses.
About the Opportunity
Flourish Australia is proud to have built one of Australia’s largest peer workforces, a proven, strengths-based approach to mental health recovery. Peer work is a cornerstone of our services with more than half of our workforce having had a lived experience of a mental health issue. By applying personal experience in mental health, peer workers can empathise, support, and inspire people in finding their own path to recovery.
As a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, your own life experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery will provide a distinct advantage as you mentor and support people with lived experience of a mental health issue. You will be required to use this lived experience openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people you support that also have a lived experience of a mental health issue.
On a day to day basis, you will:
- Listen to and create opportunities and activities that meet the interests and goals of people.
- Encourage shared learning experiences, and support skill development at every opportunity through self-directed learning, information and education.
- Ensure that individual support is provided to a person that accesses Flourish Australia services that meet their recovery journey goals and is strengths based and led by the person wherever possible.
- Be ‘hands on’ and involved in direct service delivery.
For more information about what it means to be a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C drivers license and proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You may be directed to use your private motor vehicle when an organisational pool motor vehicle is unavailable. You will receive the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes.
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. Our purpose is to support people to flourish, believe in their futures, and become contributing members of the community.
Our services are comprehensive and highly personalised because each person’s experience will be different and their needs, as an individual, are unique. Together we set goals, connect individuals with the right people, support services and opportunities to meet their needs.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- A relevant degree OR a Relevant Certificate IV or Diploma with 12-months relevant experience OR 2-years full-time experience working in mental health as recognised by Flourish Australia.
- A strong commitment to recovery-based practice in the workplace.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by people with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
- Understanding of, and ability to effectively use, Microsoft Office and knowledge of data information management systems.
- Maintain a current Australian Driver’s Licence.
For further information, please contact Sue O'Rourke, Cluster Manager, Community Businesses. E: firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not email applications)
- Attractive hourly rates
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions
- Career development opportunities
All appointments with Flourish Australia's Mental Health Services are subject to an NDIS Worker Screening clearance, a National Criminal History Check, a WWCC, previous employment reference checks, satisfactory Australian residency status and other background checks.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete all the questions asked. You will then be required to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.