Aboriginal Social & Emotional Wellbeing Trainee
Are you looking to kick start your career in mental health? Be supported to get a qualification and receive hands on experience with our Tamworth team!
The Aboriginal Social & Emotional Wellbeing Trainee position is:
- Closed-term full-time until 30 June 2022
- Rotating roster including weekend and evening shifts
- Classified at Level 3 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018)
About the Opportunity
The term social and emotional wellbeing is used by many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to describe the social, emotional, spiritual and cultural wellbeing of a person. The term recognises that connection to land, culture, spirituality, family, and community are important to people and can impact on their wellbeing. It also recognises that a person's social and emotional wellbeing is influenced by policies and past events.
As the Aboriginal Social and Emotional Wellbeing Trainee, you will work in the community with people with a lived experience of a mental health issue. You will encourage skill development, community access, community participation, and promoting opportunities for people. The care and support you provide will be tailored to meet the varied needs of the person you support.
To be successful in this rewarding role, you will have a strong interest in expanding your knowledge. You will be supported and mentored as you complete a tertiary qualification in the areas of Community Work, Mental Health or Welfare.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- A caring and understanding individual, with written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to use effective organisational skills, good problem solving skills
- Able to work in challenging situations
- Able to demonstrate a practical and optimistic approach
- Able to work effectively within a team environment as well as independently
- Have good computer skills
For more information about what it means to be an Aboriginal Social & Emotional Wellbeing Trainee, please review the Position Description.
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. Our purpose is to support people to flourish, believe in their futures, and become contributing members of the community.
Our services are comprehensive and highly personalised because each person’s experience will be different and their needs, as an individual, are unique. Together we set goals, connect individuals with the right people, support services and opportunities to meet their needs.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- Commitment to the completion of Cert IV or Diploma level qualifications.
- Commitment to developing an understanding of recovery-based practice and the challenges faced by people with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
- Current Australian driver's licence.
- Experience working in Aboriginal and diverse communities.
For further information, please contact Selene Bennett, Manager. E: firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not email applications)
Flourish Australia recognises and values its people as demonstrated by:
- Attractive hourly rates
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions
- Career development opportunities
Appointments will be subject to satisfactory Australian residency/visa, National Criminal Record checks, and the Working With Children Check.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete all the questions asked. You will then be required to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.
Applications close 5pm 21st June.