Senior Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker
Bathurst Sub-Acute Units
Flourish Australia is seeking an experienced Senior Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker to join the team in Bathurst working within the Panorama Sub-Acute Mental Health Units!
The position is closed-term full-time (76 hours per fortnight) until 30 June 2022. The successful candidate will be working Monday to Friday (with the occasional need to cover weekends, evening and night shifts). This position is classified as Level 5 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
About the Opportunity
The Bathurst Unit is a 10 bed mental health inpatient service located on the grounds of the Bathurst Health Service. This program works in partnership with staff from the Western NSW Local Health District to promote recovery and positive change by providing access to:
- A structured, supportive and safe environment
- A range of contemporary, multidisciplinary mental health interventions, programmes, services and treatments informed by evidence based best practice
- A selected professional team that works together with people, their family, carers, key supports and community partners to establish a dynamic, person-centred approach informed by principles of recovery
- A service that assists people to develop their capacity to live independently in the community and reach their potential
As a Senior Worker, you will assist people accessing our services who have a lived experience of a mental health issue to support their recovery journey and achieve their hopes and dreams. You will work in partnership with other supports and services to ensure continuity of care and guide the development of recovery journeys with staff. In addition, you will be responsible for managing and planning staff as well as engaging with senior managers.
The difference between the two roles is a Senior Peer Worker is required to use their lived experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people they support that also experience a mental health issue.
Senior Peer Workers will also use their lived experience to inform and contribute to staff learning, service understanding, and delivering person-led, strengths focused, recovery based language, documentation, training and actions. As a Peer Worker, you will also use your lived experience to work as an advocate on an individual basis and systemically (as required).
It is not a requirement for Senior Mental Health Workers to use their lived experience of a mental health issue in their everyday work.
For more information about what it means to be a Senior Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C drivers license and proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You may be directed to use your private motor vehicle in the course of performing your duties when an organisational pool motor vehicle is unavailable. You will receive the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. Our purpose is to support people to flourish, believe in their futures, and become contributing members of the community.
Our services are comprehensive and highly personalised because each person’s experience will be different and their needs, as an individual, are unique. Together we set goals, connect individuals with the right people, support services and opportunities to meet their needs.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- A relevant degree in behavioural sciences or human services with relevant experience; or
- A relevant associate diploma with substantial experience; or
- Relevant qualifications in more than one relevant discipline; or
- A relevant certificate qualification with specialised skills sufficient to perform at this level; or
- Attained through previous appointments, service and/or study an equivalent level of experience and expertise to undertake the range of activities required.
- Willingness to meet NSW Health Category A immunisation requirements.
- Current Australian drivers licence.
For further information, please contact Sheree Masling, Manager. E: firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not email applications).
All appointments with Flourish Australia's Mental Health Services are subject to an NDIS Worker Screening clearance, a National Criminal History Check, a Working With Children Check, previous employment reference checks, satisfactory Australian residency status and other background checks. Furthermore the successful candidate will be required to meet NSW Health immunisation requirements as this role will be in partnership with the Western NSW Local Health District.
- Attractive hourly rates
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions
- Career development opportunities
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the questions asked. You will then be required to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.
Applications close 5pm 14th June.