Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker Vacancy
Flourish Australia has an exciting opportunity for a motivated Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker to join our team at Penrith!
The position is full-time working a rotating roster including weekends and evening shifts and is classified as Level 3 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
About the Opportunity
Mental Health Workers and Peer Workers work in the community to support people accessing our services with lived experience of mental health issues achieve their hopes and dreams. You will play an important part in assisting people to maintain wellness and realise their goals through one on one support and group support.
Your priority is to empower people to claim their place in their community through tailored supports.
On a day to day basis you will be required to:
- Provide and facilitate one on one supports as well as group support
- Listen to and create opportunities and activities that meet the interests and goals of people.
- Encourage shared learning experiences, and support skill development at every opportunity through self-directed learning, information and education.
- Ensure that individual support is provided to a person that accesses Flourish Australia services that meets their recovery journey goals and is strengths based and led by the person wherever possible.
- Be ‘hands on’ and involved in direct service delivery.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, be non-judgmental, be fair, patient, have willingness to listen, and display empathy.
- Self-reflect and constantly review work practices.
The difference between the two roles is that a Peer Worker is required to use their lived experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people they support.
Peer Workers will also use their lived experience to inform and contribute to staff learning, service understanding, and delivering person-led, strengths focused, recovery based language, documentation, training and actions. As a Peer Worker, you will also use your lived experience to work as an advocate on an individual basis and systemically (as required).
It is not a requirement for Mental Health Workers to use their lived experience of a mental health issue in their everyday work.
For more information about what it means to be a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Position Description and the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
For more information on the Mental Health Worker role, please read the Position Description.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C driver’s licence as you may be directed to use your private motor vehicle in the course of performing your duties when an organisational pool motor vehicle is not available. Proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You will receive payment of the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes.
Who we are
Our name reflects our fundamental and enduring commitment to people’s mental health and wellbeing, supporting them to thrive and live a contributing life.
People are at the centre of everything we do at Flourish Australia – they’re our heart and soul. We reflect this through the language we use, our pride and belief in our team and our respect and understanding of those with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- Entry level for graduates with a relevant degree in behavioural sciences or human services; or
- A relevant associate diploma or certificate qualification with relevant experience; or
- At least 1-years relevant experience in mental health attained through previous appointments
- A current Australian Driver's Licence
For further information, please contact Manager, Ruby Golding E: firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not email applications)
Appointments will be subject to satisfactory Australian residency/visa, National Criminal Record checks, and Working With Children Check.
Flourish Australia recognises and values its people as demonstrated by:
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions
- Comprehensive infrastructure including fleet motor vehicles, mobile phones and other resources for work purposes;
- Career development opportunities.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the questions below. You will then be asked to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.