Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker Vacancy (Level 4)
Flourish Australia has an exciting opportunity for a Level 4 Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker to join our team in Tamworth!
The position is closed-term full-time until 30 June 2021 with the possibility of an extension beyond this date. The successful candidate will be working across a rotating roster including weekend and evening shifts. This position is classified as Level 4 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
About the Opportunity
In this role you will work directly with people who live with severe and persistent mental health issues with complex support needs that require a response from multiple agencies.
As a Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker your focus will be on helping participants test NDIS eligibility, by gathering supporting documentation and working with clinical and community support services. You will work in community to support people accessing our services with lived experience of mental health issues achieve their hopes and dreams. You will play an important part in assisting people to realise their goals as specified in their NDIS plans and through other support programs we provide.
On a day to day basis you will be required to:
- Listen to and create opportunities and activities that meet the interests and goals of people.
- Encourage shared learning experiences, and support skill development at every opportunity through self-directed learning, information and education.
- Ensure that individual support is provided to a person that accesses Flourish Australia services that meets their recovery journey goals and is strengths based and led by the person wherever possible.
- Be ‘hands on’ and involved in direct service delivery.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, be non-judgmental, be fair, patient, have willingness to listen, and display empathy.
- Self-reflect and constantly review work practices
Your main responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Assist senior staff with planning and coordination of a program or project (when required).
- Have excellent knowledge of statutory and legal requirements and exercise this knowledge with lower classified staff.
- Utilise a high level of initiative and problem solving using knowledge, judgement and organisational skills acquired through qualifications and previous work experience.
- May undertake more complex operational work including the planning and co-ordination of activities within their own areas of responsibility.
- May assist in a range of functions and/or contribute to interpretation of matters for which there are no clearly defined practices or procedures.
The difference between the two roles is that a Peer Worker is required to use their lived experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people they support who also experience a mental health issue. Peer Workers will also use their lived experience to inform and contribute to staff learning, service understanding, and delivering person-led, strengths focused, recovery based language, documentation, training and actions. As a Peer Worker, you will also use your lived experience to work as an advocate on an individual basis and systemically (as required).
It is not a requirement for Mental Health Workers to use their lived experience of a mental health issue in their everyday work.
For more information about what it means to be a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Position Description and the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
For more information on the Mental Health Worker role, please read the Position Description.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C driver’s licence as you may be directed to use your private motor vehicle in the course of performing your duties when an organisational pool motor vehicle is not available. Proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You will receive payment of the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes.
Who we are
Our name reflects our fundamental and enduring commitment to people's mental health and wellbeing, supporting them to flourish, believe in their future and their place in the community.
People are at the centre of everything we do at Flourish Australia – they’re our heart and soul. We reflect this through the language we use, our pride and belief in our team and our respect and understanding of those with a lived experience of a mental health issue.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- A relevant 4-year degree in behavioural sciences or human services with 1-years experience; or
- A relevant 3-year degree in behavioural sciences or human services with 2-years experience; or
- A relevant associate diploma with relevant experience; or
- A relevant certificate qualification with substantial relevant experience in mental health attained through previous appointments; and
- A current Australian Driver's Licence
Skills and Attributes:
- Be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge of how to apply person led recovery-focused practice in the workplace
- Commitment to, and experience in, working with diverse communities
- Extensive local knowledge or the area and its health services and other community services
- Ability to think creatively, solve problems, be people focused and work in partnership
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage with people using our services
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Be proficient with technology and have a workable knowledge of databases
Flourish Australia recognises and values its people as demonstrated by:
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900;
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions;
- Career development opportunities.
For further information, please contact Jim Booth, Senior Cluster Manager. E: email@example.com (please do not email applications)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the questions below. You will then be asked to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.